Shearer's Snacks, located in Waterford, Pennsylvania, is currently seeking associates who are eager to work in the challenging, fast-paced environment of our Packaging Department as Packaging Line Workers. Prior experience a plus. Open position on our Day Shift (7:00 am - 3:00 pm). Must be able to work weekends and overtime as needed. Pre-employment drug testing and criminal background check are required.
Overview, Essential Duties, and Responsibilities:
The Packer position plays an important role in packaging finished goods into cartons, monitoring the line, and packaging process in order to ensure overall product quality. The Packer must be able to work safely within a dynamic, collaborative team environment, while performing essential work activities. This position supports pick out, peeler attendant, and various sanitation responsibilities. The Packer must follow Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and Food Safety.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Packer is responsible for packing finished product into cartons, monitoring the line and packaging process, in order to ensure quality.
Packages product into cartons using hands and various equipment.
- Places the packages into the carton in the appropriate format
- Places the correct amount of packages into cartons
- Places the packed cartons on pallets in the appropriate manner
- Participates in dry and wet wipe downs of seasoning and sanitation when necessary for production schedule
- Supports repack operations by assembling mods, filling sleeves, and various other repack jobs.
Monitors line and packaging process in order to ensure quality.
- Watches the finished product traveling through the production process to ensure a high-quality product
- Removes any clusters, raw chips, scraps, and oil soaked products from the line
- Confirms that the code date on packages matches the labels at the packaging machine (ie., 30-minute checks)
- Checks the back and end seals to make sure they are up to standards
- Reports any potential quality issues such as bag weights and coverage issues to the PMO and/or Shift Supervisor
- Verifies that the correct number of packages is in each carton
- Verifies the correct number of cartons is on each pallet
- Reports any unplanned line stoppages to the PMO
- Separates food waste from general trash. Able to perform general operation of the bailer and Baskin system
- Performs re-work as defined by procedures, as required
- Responsible for housekeeping in work area
- Records product, packaging, and order information on specified forms and records
- Examines and inspects containers, materials, and products to ensure that packing specifications are met
- Measures, weighs, and counts products and materials
Performs additional related duties as assigned.
Role Contribution Level
This position is an individual contributor role. The position requires the team member to execute tasks in a safe and efficient manner within a defined period of time. The team member must collaborate with teammates, effectively manage personal time, demonstrates personal responsibility, contribute to the positive work environment, and respects others’ time.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities; Education; and/or Work Experience Requirements:
Education and Work Experience
- High school education or GED equivalent.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Interpersonal skills
- Communication skills
- Listening skills
- Organizational skills
- Knowledge of counting and basic math
- Knowledge, skills, and abilities consistent with the essential duties and responsibilities
- Ability to read and comprehend written material
- Ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to walk and stand for a prolonged period of time
- Must be able to use hands, arms, and fingers to handle, feel, and reach
- Must be able to sit, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
- Must be able to climb or balance
- Must be able to lift above head and shoulders
- Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 15 pounds
- Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- Close vision
- Distance vision
- Color vision
- Peripheral vision
- Depth perception
- Ability to adjust focus
The Packer position is located in a manufacturing environment, which includes exposure to:
- High temperatures, fumes or airborne particles
- Moving mechanical parts and vibration
- Loud noise level
- Elevated heights
- Hot surfaces