The Warehouse Supervisor position is responsible for planning, directing, or coordinating the storage or distribution operations within the facility. Oversees the efficiency of receiving, storing, testing, and shipping products in a continuous improvement-based environment and maintains a safe work environment. Responsible for hiring, training, supervising, and mentoring department personnel for the branch. Supervises personnel and serves as a team leader.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Warehouse Supervisor position plans, directs, and coordinates the storage and distribution operations while maintaining a safe work environment; monitors the activities of employees engaged in receiving, storing, and distributing products.
Plans, directs, and coordinates the storage and distribution operations.
• Uses metrics/data to evaluate and improve receiving, storing, and distributing processes.
• Inspects receiving, storing, and distribution to detect defects or malfunctions.
• Uses standard work processes to ensure repeatable performance.
• Monitors receiving, storing, and distributing goals and levels to make sure they are consistent with performance standards.
• Collaborates with other managers and supervisors to coordinate operations and activities within or between departments.
• Oversees the review of invoices, work orders, consumption reports, or demand forecasts to estimate peak delivery periods and to issue work assignments.
• Oversees the inspection of physical conditions of warehouses, vehicle fleets, or equipment and order testing, maintenance, repairs, or replacements.
• Plans and establishes work schedules, assignments, and production sequences to meet performance standards
• Develop and execute standard operating procedures, including full utilization of a warehouse management system.
• Ensure products, parts or supplies are shipped, distributed or received in an efficient manner.
• Lead warehouse personnel on proper storage and distribution activities.
• Manage inventory of materials, parts and finished goods to maintain required supply.
• Maintain records, replenishes stock and plans for future requirements based on orders, production schedules and forecast.
• Evaluate daily inventory on hand, counts items received or shipped and checks against packing lists recording any discrepancies.
• Prepare and review distribution documents.
• Oversee the loading, unloading, movement or storage items according to delivery or routing documents.
• Ability to operate a Forklift or Reach Truck.
• Communicate with drivers in transit or customers about status of freight.
• Evaluate daily performance of Warehouse Team and provide fair and consistent feedback.
• Experience with implementation and execution of Lean Principles (TPM/5S/Standard Work)
Maintains a safe work environment
• Plans, develops, and implements warehouse safety and security programs and activities
• Prepares or directs preparation of safety manuals
• Ensures that behaviors, practices and the work environment support a safe workplace by enforcing safety and sanitation rules and principles
Leads and develops team members
• Leads the team through an emphasis on both process and people
• Communicates effectively with employees through both oral and written means
• Directs employees involved in the receiving, storing, and distributing process
• Interviews and selects warehouse and supervisory personnel
Coaches team members in the principles of effective receiving, storing, and distribution processes
• Conducts employee training to improve employees’ expertise and knowledge in equipment operations, work safety procedures, and teamwork, or assigns employee training to experienced workers
• Provides feedback to employees on individual performance standards in a timely and efficient manner
• Tracks employees’ work performance and attendance to ensure performance metrics are met
• Work cross-functionally with leaders of other functional areas to make best in class decisions to daily and long term objectives.
Performs additional related duties as assigned
Education; and/or Work Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree
• 5 years experience in a warehouse management or supervisory role – preferably in food processing industry
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of principles involved in storage operation
• Knowledge of basic and advanced methods of training and coaching individuals and groups
• Knowledge of techniques for maximizing the distribution of goods
• Proficiency in MS Office: Excel, Word. Previous Red Prairie and/or WMS experience
• 3 years relevant experience in distribution and/or logistics
• Strong communication and leadership skills. Understanding of servant leadership
• Ability to organize, self-prioritize, and be a self-starter in a fast-paced environment with internal deadlines
• Detailed, number oriented individual with experience analyzing numbers quickly and responding decisively
• Strong team player with history of partnering with transportation, sales, customer service and the customer
• Flexibility to coordinate special projects, anticipate issues and take initiative to resolve them
• Interpersonal skills
• Decision-making skills
• Time management skills
• Organizational skills
• Ability to plan, direct, and coordinate the distribution operation
• Ability to work within an integrated operating enterprise
• Ability to manage team members in executing complex programs
• Ability to work a variable schedule
• Knowledge, skills, and abilities consistent with the essential duties and responsibilities
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to walk and stand for a prolonged period of time
• Must be able to use hands, arms, and fingers to handle, feel, and reach
• Must be able to sit, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
• Must be able to climb or balance
• Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds
• Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
• Close vision
• Distance vision
• Color vision
• Peripheral vision
• Depth perception
• Ability to adjust focus
The Warehouse Supervisor position is located in a manufacturing environment, which includes:
• Exposure to high temperatures
• Fumes or airborne particles
• Moving mechanical parts and vibration
• Loud noise levels
• Elevated heights
• Hot surfaces
Shearer’s provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.