Technical Manager - Hermiston
The Technical Manager oversees facility maintenance, engineering, and environmental initiatives within the manufacturing plant in a continuous improvement-based environment, and maintains a safe work environment. Responsible for training, supervising, and mentoring department personnel including the, Facilities Leader Process Engineers, Maintenance Team Leaders, and Maintenance Planners
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Technical Manager position plans, directs, and coordinates facility maintenance and engineering operations while maintaining a safe work environment; monitors the activities of employees engaged in maintaining, monitoring, and improving the mechanical capital within the manufacturing plant.
Plans, directs, and coordinates facility maintenance operations
- Uses metrics/data to evaluate and improve maintenance and technical processes
- Uses metrics/data to evaluate and improve plant leadership procedures
- Ensures and monitors maintenance efficiency
- Inspects work equipment to detect defects or malfunctions
- Plans and establishes work schedules, assignments, and production sequences to meet performance standards
- Uses standard work processes to ensure repeatable performance
- Monitors maintenance and leadership goals and levels to make sure they are consistent with performance standards
- Collaborates with other managers and supervisors to coordinate operations and activities within or between departments
- Oversees the review of invoices, work orders, consumption reports, or demand forecasts to estimate peak delivery periods and to issue work assignments
- Oversees the inspection of physical conditions of the facility, warehouses, vehicle fleets, equipment, maintenance, repairs, or replacements
- Creation, submission and explanation of the Annual Capital Plan.
- Execution of the Annual Capital Plan within +/- 1% of adjusted dollars.
- Ownership for site parts inventories, parts management and technical relationships with vendors.
- Key leader in current and future energy reduction efforts and sustainability initiatives.
- Develop and execute formal processes for Project execution including the use of Early Management Tools and integration with
- Operations, Maintenance and other support departments.
- Monitoring and support of execution of individual projects within +/-5% of submitted capital dollars.
- Lead and Train in the use of TPM based CI improvement tools including a wide range of Early Management tools, Root Cause
- Analysis and Failure Modes Effects Analysis (FMEA).
- Integration of Safety, Quality and Energy and Environmental policies in all projects.
- Meet or exceed all Environmental Policies and Regulatory Requirements on the site. Lead and contribute to goals and initiatives in reducing Energy consumption.
- Support through long and short term technical direction volume and mix adjusted plant cost commitments.
- Monitor and accomplish all Maintenance budgetary goals including Labor, Parts and Outside Repairs.
- Develop, improve and monitor appropriate TPM and RCM based metrics.
- Develop, improve and ensure the use of a formal Maintenance Planning Process centered on Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
- Support the Maintenance Team through the selection leadership of new Maintenance personnel and the Continuous Improvement and Training of existing Maintenance Teams.
- Partner with Corporate Directives and other Sites in Engineering and Maintenance to drive TPM based Continuous Improvement.
- The site PTM is a key driver and resource for the execution of cost savings programs and activities, namely Autonomous Maintenance (AM). AM is a critical tool in performance improvement as well as cultural development.
Maintains a safe work environment
- Plans, develops, and implements warehouse safety and security programs and activities
- Prepares or directs preparation of safety manuals
- Ensures that behaviors, practices, and the work environment support a safe workplace by enforcing safety and sanitation rules and principles
Leads and develops team members
- Leads the team through an emphasis on both process and people
- Communicates effectively with employees through both oral and written means
- Directs employees involved in the maintenance process
- Directs employees occupying plant leadership positions
- Interviews and selects maintenance and managerial personnel
- Coaches team members on a daily basis in the principles of effective maintenance processes
- Coaches team members on a daily basis in the principles of effective leadership
- Conducts employee training to improve employees’ expertise and knowledge in equipment operations, work safety procedures, leadership skills, and teamwork, or assigns employee training to experienced workers
- Provides feedback to employees on individual performance standards in a timely and efficient manner
- Provides training to employees or ensures that all employees are adequately trained and engaged in developmental and leadership activities
- Tracks employees’ work performance and attendance to ensure that performance metrics are met
- Builds rapport and collaborative relationships across cross-functional teams
Performs additional related duties as assigned
Education and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of experience in a production, plant, or warehouse technical operations management or supervision role, preferably in the food processing industry
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of advanced principles in plant operations
- Knowledge of basic and advanced methods of training and coaching individuals and groups
- Interpersonal skills
- Decision-making skills
- Time management skills
- Organizational skills
- Ability to plan, direct, and coordinate the INPUT
- Ability to work within an integrated operating enterprise
- Ability to manage team members in executing complex programs
- Ability to work a variable schedule
- Knowledge, skills, and abilities consistent with the essential duties and responsibilities
Shearer’s Snacks is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation