Your Career Begins at Shearer's Foods, LLC! Shearer's Foods is the second largest producer of private label of salty snacks, crackers and cookies in North America and the largest producer of kettle cooked potato chips in the world. Shearer's Snacks employs over 5,300 individuals and our sales revenues are over $1.4 billion. We have 11 manufacturing facilities throughout North America; ten in the United States and one in Canada. Our corporate headquarters is located in Massillon, Ohio and we are seeking associates who are eager to work in a challenging, fast paced environment.
The Senior Quality Assurance Manager is responsible for leading the quality assurance, food safety, and sanitation departments. The role is a senior leadership position which reports to the Plant Director. This individual will work closely with customers, suppliers, corporate personnel, and the manufacturing staff within our Perham, MN facility.
Responsibilities includes auditing of Quality systems, experience with SQF/BRC, development and implementation of HACCP Food Safety Plan, GMP and SOP’s for plant Quality department. Responsible for communication of food quality standards to plant personnel through training, corrective actions, quality audits, production and facility monitoring.
• Serves as SQF Practitioner and site Preventive Controls Qualified Individual.
• Manage the Quality, Food Safety, and Sanitation functions/staff at the facility.
• Experience working closely with the FDA and all regulations.
• Manage programs to verify, validate the Food Safety Programs and Preventative Controls.
• Manage the plant Food Safety Plan and sanitation associated policies and procedures.
• Lead Food Safety Team.
• Monitor, support and implement all Shearer’s Foods food safety processes and procedures. This includes all AIB standards, SQF standards, and customer specific standards as identified in supporting documentation.
• Participate in weekly Food Safety Inspections.
• Ensure all quality procedures and processes are followed according to document policies.
• Ensures that all GMP and Safety standards are in compliance.
• Maintains a comprehensive understanding of all products manufactured by the plant as well as the raw materials, packaging materials, and operations required in the manufacturing process including quality specifications and standards.
• Formulates and maintains quality objectives, aligns and coordinates objectives with Operations and Corporate objectives in cooperation with the Plant Director and other managers/supervisors to maximize food safety, product quality and minimize costs.
• Coach QA team to become technical resources for facilitating issue resolution on the production floor. Develop technicians and supervisors in auditing food safety and quality processes.
• Design and implement quality assurance and sanitation training programs.
• Investigate and respond to customer complaints. Track complaints and react to emerging issues or trends engaging the appropriate functions and process owners (i.e. production, maintenance, PD, etc.) to resolve.
• Develop and analyze statistical quality data. Utilize these data for troubleshooting or continuous quality improvement where appropriate.
• Coordinate and participate in mock recalls.
• Respond to customer requests and queries.
• Provide technical support to operations.
• Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or other related field.
• Direct experience with AIB, SQF, BRC or similar food industry audits.
• Prior experience managing a sanitation staff or direct sanitation responsibilities.
• Must be a certified Preventive Controls Qualified Individual
• Prefer SQF Practitioner Certification.
• Knowledge of Sanitation and Food Safety (HACCP principles, cGMPs, SOPs and SSOPs, Pest Control, Allergen Control & Recall programs).
• Solid knowledge of Laboratory Procedures.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills both orally and written.
• Supervisory experience in a QA lab.
• Knowledge of FDA standards and FSMA Regulations.
• Demonstrated knowledge and application of statistical process control, quality assurance techniques and tools and quality management principles in a food manufacturing environment.
• Demonstrated ability to direct, coach, and train associates as well as plan, monitor and schedule work.
• Lead ‘best in class’ behaviors with focus on food safety, quality assurance, and plant regulatory compliance.
• Handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
• Experience working directly with customers and supplier and leading customer audits.
• Strong PC proficiency to include Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Working knowledge of statistical software programs.
• Demonstrated ability to formulate and understand mathematical equations, especially basic statistical analysis.
Shearer’s provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.