Your Career Begins at Shearer's Foods, LLC! Shearer's Foods is the second largest producer of private label of salty snacks, crackers and cookies in North America and the largest producer of kettle cooked potato chips in the world. Shearer's Snacks employs over 5,300 individuals and our sales revenues are over $1.4 billion. We have 11 manufacturing facilities throughout North America; ten in the United States and one in Canada. Our corporate headquarters is located in Massillon, Ohio and we are seeking associates who are eager to work in a challenging, fast paced environment.
The Senior Quality Assurance Manager is responsible for leading the quality assurance, food safety, and sanitation departments. The role is a senior leadership position overseeing 4 direct reports with a staff of 60+ team members. This individual will work closely with customers, suppliers, corporate personnel, and the manufacturing staff within our Burlington, IA facility, recently ranked as one of the top small cities to live in America, please visit; (https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/best-small-cities-in-america).
Responsibilities includes auditing of Quality systems such as, SQF (Safe Quality Foods), the Food Safety Plan, GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices), and SOP’s (Standard Operating Procedures) for plant Quality department. Responsible for communication of food quality standards to plant personnel through training, corrective actions, quality audits, production and facility monitoring.
- Serves as SQF Practitioner and site Preventive Controls Qualified Individual.
- Manage the Quality, Food Safety, and sanitation function at the facility
- Manage programs to verify, validate the Food Safety Pre-requisite programs.
- Manage the plant Food Safety Plan and sanitation associated policies and procedures.
- Serves as Food Safety Team Member.
- Monitor, support and enforce all Shearer’s Foods food safety processes and procedures. This includes all AIB standards, SQF standards, and customer specific standards as identified in supporting documentation.
- Participate in weekly Food Safety Inspections.
- Ensure all quality procedures and processes are followed according to document policies.
- Ensures that all GMP and Safety standards are in compliance.
- Maintains a comprehensive understanding of all products manufactured by the plant as well as the raw materials, packaging materials, and operations required in the manufacturing process including quality specifications and standards.
- Formulates and maintains quality objectives, aligns and coordinates objectives with Production and Corporate objectives in cooperation with the Plant Manager and other managers/supervisors to maximize food safety, product quality and minimize costs.
- Coaches QA team to become technical resources for facilitating issue resolution on the production floor. Develops technicians and supervisors in auditing of production team members performing quality processes
- Designs and implements quality assurance and sanitation training programs.
- Investigates and responds to customer complaints. Tracks complaint and reacts to emerging issues or trends engaging the appropriate functions and process owners (i.e. production, maintenance, PD, etc.) to resolve.
- Develops and analyzes statistical quality data. Utilizes these data for troubleshooting or continuous quality improvement where appropriate.
- Coordinate and participate in mock recalls.
- Responds to customer requests and queries.
- Provides technical support to operations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science Degree or other related degree.
- Direct experience with AIB, SQF or similar food industry production audits.
- Prior experience managing a sanitation staff
- Must be a certified Preventive Controls Qualified Individual
- Prefer SQF Practitioner Certification.
- Knowledge of Sanitation and Food Safety (HACCP principals, cGMPs, SOPs and SSOPs, Pest Control, Allergen Control & Recall programs).
- Solid knowledge of Laboratory Procedures.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills both orally and written.
- Supervisory experience in a QA lab.
- Knowledge of FDA standards and FSMA Regulations.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of statistical process control, quality assurance techniques and tools and quality management principles in a food manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to direct, coach, and train associates as well as plan, monitor and schedule work.
- Lead ‘best in class’ behaviors with focus on food safety, quality assurance, and plant regulatory compliance.
- Handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Experience working directly with customers and supplier.
- Strong PC proficiency to include Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Working knowledge of statistical software programs.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate and understand mathematical equations, especially basic statistical analysis.
Shearer’s Snacks is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation