Safety Manager - Hermiston, OR
Shearer's Snacks is the largest producer of private label salty snacks, crackers and cookies in North America and the largest producer of kettle cooked potato chips in the world. Based in Massillon, Ohio, Shearer's operates eleven state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities in Ohio, Iowa, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Texas, Oregon, Arkansas, Virginia and Canada and received the snack food industry's highest sustainability award for environmental responsibility.
The Company offers its customers a unique value proposition that includes innovation, product development, manufacturing, and category management expertise.
- Because of the unique business model and value proposition, Shearer’s Snacks has very few competitors that match its total portfolio of capabiliites.
Drivers of Growth/”Reasons to Believe”
- Shearer’s Snacks has more than quadrupled its growth over the last 10 years through strategic acquisition and organic growth, making it the leading private label and contract manufacturer of salty snacks, cookies, and crackers.
- The Company is a strategic supplier to a diverse customer base of leading retailers and branded snack food companies.
- Product innovation, technical product development, and category management are important and significant capabilities and set Shearer’s apart from its smaller competitors in establishing a value proposition in the market place.
The Safety and Wellness Manager is accountable for leading a comprehensive factory safety and wellness process using a proactive approach. This role has an overall responsibility for leading with plant management the plant’s number one priority; the safety and well-being of all team members. The Safety and Wellness Manager will lead the development of a master plan for safety based on qualitative and quantitative plant data.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead a caring safety culture that is focused on people
- Lead processes necessary to ensure a safe working environment
- Lead the facility to meet or exceed established corporate safety goals aligned with business need
- Lead processes necessary to be compliant with applicable federal, state and local safety requirements
- Lead programs to promote safe behaviors throughout the facility
- Lead programs to correct unsafe acts and unsafe conditions with the workplace
- Financial Controls and Budgeting: Responsible for providing leadership and guidance to maintain a safety budget with an emphasis on practical business and financial responsibility
- Lead a wellness culture to promote healthy lifestyles for all team members.
- Lead wellness programs to promote a healthy lifestyle for all team members.
- Lead the implementation of a wellness incentive program.
- Manage company sponsored health clinics where applicable
- Financial Controls and Budgeting: Responsible for providing leadership and guidance to maintain a wellness budget with an emphasis on practical business and financial responsibility
Key Leadership Competencies
- Coaching and Leading others
- Caring positive approach
- Motivating others
- Wholes systems thinking
- Managing projects and processes
- Bachelor degree in Safety and Environmental Management or similar; and four years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of OSHA and other State/Federal requirements
Shearer’s Snacks is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation