Shearers Snacks is a privately held producer and marketer of quality snack foods sold in the US and international markets under the following brands: Shearers, Rice Works, Granny Goose, Thin & Crispy as well as other private label brands.
Position Title: Quality Technician
Shift: Night - Sunday, 9:00 pm – 7:30 am, Monday to Thursday, 11:30 pm –7:30 am
Wage: 0-1040 hours worked $17.82, 1041 hours forward $19.82
Supports all food safety and quality management systems, including documentation, record keeping, training, etc.
- Conducts analysis, inspection, test to assure the quality of raw materials or finished products
- Conducts moisture, PH analysis as well as net weight checks
- Document data obtained during all quality assurance activities
- Communicates issues to production supervisor or operations manager
- Provide quality leadership on shift and work closely with the shift supervisor to identify and correct potential food quality and food safety issues
- Verify that proper changeover procedures have been followed by using the changeover inspection and pre-operational inspection programs
- Assist with SQF program maintenance
C of A”s Inspection and Verification for all ingredients and packaging material
Onsite verification of lot number usage
Troubleshoot process deviations in oven room and packaging, including weight control analysis (SPC) and adherence to Standard Operating procedures
CCP metal detector verification & allergen change over pre op
Sugar & Flour tailing inspection
Total Chlorine water testing
- Preparing and sending customer samples as requested
- Ensure all raw materials are received within specifications
- Ensure all finished product testing is performed properly
- Keep track daily of the hold area and perform retest when necessary
- Ensure all retain samples are being pulled
- Ensure all product review samples are being pulled
- Manage the positive release program by ensuring all CCP and QP are verified during previous shift
- Assist in special projects when necessary
- Technical resource and coach production in Statistical Process Control (SPC), data analysis, root cause analysis, issue resolution and quality techniques.
- Helps with Food Safety Plan and creates standard operating procedures
- Conduct Internal Programs Audit and writing standard operating procedures
- Reviews data in Infinity program daily
- Manage issues with non-conforming products to assure proper control, minimize losses and provide analysis to eliminate future occurrences.
- Manage all lab equipment and perform basic trouble shooting
- When necessary assist with new technician training
- Follow all work instructions
- Follow all company policies and procedures while working
- Completing all other duties as assigned
Experience, knowledge and skills
Food Science Diploma or previous training in Food Safety is required
Working knowledge of Statistical Process Control (SPC) is required
Previous data analysis and application of problem solving and statistical process control technique and experience is required
Previous knowledge of Internal program auditing is and asset.
Knowledge of QC processes; experience in a food processing industry is an asset
Strong verbal and written communication skills - must be able to accurately express information concerning product quality and safety
Must be able to perform simple calculations
Must have basic computer skills
Self-starter, working with minimal supervision
Must follow all safety regulations while working
Shearer’s Foods Canada, Inc. is committed to providing accommodation for applicants with disabilities; please advise us if you require an accommodation during the recruitment process.
We are pleased that you are interested in joining our organization. The on-line application will take approximately 20 minutes. You will be asked a standard set of questions similar to those that you would find on an employment application.
The individual applying for the position must complete this on-line application personally. You will also be asked to provide work history information, so please refer to your resume when completing this on-line application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.