Italian Sausage and Peppers Stuffed Mushrooms
The best part about coming up with new chip flavors is trying them out in new recipes. This recipe delivers everything you ever wanted when it comes to stuffed mushrooms: sweet Italian sausage, onion, mozzarella cheese, bread crumbs, and a little extra crunch and spice with the Italian Sausage and Peppers Shearer’s flavor. Switch up an old recipe with this Shearer’s spin and your friends will be clamoring to find out the secret ingredient!
- Servings: 8-10
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
16 large stuffing mushrooms, cleaned with stems removed 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage, removed from the casings 1 small red onion, finely chopped 3 garlic cloves, minced 1/3 cup Italian bread crumbs 4 oz. ricotta cheese 8 slices mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 squares Salt and pepper, to taste 1/3 cup Shearer's Italian Sausage & Peppers Potato Chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet and cook the Italian sausage on medium heat, breaking it up as much as possible.
- Once the sausage is completely browned, use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb the excess grease.
- Use the already greased pan to sauté the onion and garlic, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the bread crumbs, potato chips and mix with the other ingredients.
- Once those are thoroughly mixed, stir in the ricotta and combine evenly. Continue to stir until the ricotta has melted and the mixture has become creamy.
- Remove pan from heat and mix in the sausage.
- Fill each mushroom cap generously with the mushroom mixture and arrange on a baking dish.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the mixture is browned. Remove from the oven and add mozzarella slices to the top of each mushroom and place the pan back in the oven for another 3-5 minutes. Serve hot!
Katie A. 7/7/2016 2:45:31 PMLooked for a fancy appetizer for a small bridal shower, these were a HIT. So flavorful!