Hermiston - Purchasing Agent
Purchasing Agent - Hermiston, OR
Shearer's Snacks is the largest producer of private label salty snacks, crackers and cookies in North America and the largest producer of kettle cooked potato chips in the world. Based in Massillon, Ohio, Shearer's operates eleven state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities in Ohio, Iowa, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Texas, Oregon, Arkansas, Virginia and Canada and received the snack food industry's highest sustainability award for environmental responsibility.
The Company offers its customers a unique value proposition that includes innovation, product development, manufacturing, and category management expertise.
The Purchasing Agent will be responsible for creating & managing purchase orders, controlling inventory levels, and maintaining service level goals. Individual should have experience in material sourcing, planning and buying. Purchasing experience for a food/beverage manufacturer is a plus! Ideal candidate will possess knowledge of systems related to raw material planning, production scheduling, quality control, cost reduction, inventory control, etc. This position requires a person with proven oral and written skills along with interpersonal and negotiation skills.
Job responsibilities include:
- Coordinate activities involved with creating, verifying and tracking purchase orders.
- Develop communication relationships with key suppliers.
- Expedite materials and supplies as necessary to assure daily production schedules are met.
- Minimize on hand inventory levels while maintaining service levels.
- Identify cost saving opportunities.
- Sends releases to the suppliers.
- Runs shorts reports and resolves issues.
- Escalates any issues that impact production.
- Manages RMA process and requests credit from suppliers.
- Other duties as assigned to meet the needs of the company.
The qualified candidate will possess and display the following skills and personal attributes:
- BS Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in purchasing, forecasting and inventory planning
- Detailed working knowledge of MRP.
- In depth knowledge of material management processes.
- Strong analytical and Microsoft Office software skills (Word, Excel and related applications).
- Strong written, mathematical and reasoning skills.
- Excellent communication skills: written and verbal.
- Ability to adapt well to change.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Practical, cross functional experience in many of the following areas:
- Planning and Scheduling in a manufacturing environment
- Customer Service
- Ability to develop a detailed understanding of manufacturing capabilities and capacities.
- Proven ability to work cross functionally in a collaborative and integrated operating environment.
- Experience with ERP tools preferred.
- Must pass a drug/alcohol and background screen.