Baked Apples with Sausage Stuffing
If you’re looking for the perfect side dish this holiday season, we can help. This savory recipe combines the sweetness from fresh orchard apples with the rich, flavorful taste of Thanksgiving Day stuffing for a colorful dish your guests will enjoy!
- Servings: 4-6
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 tbsp butter 1 stalk celery, diced 1/4 cup onion, diced 1/2 package sausage 1 box stuffing mix 1-1/4 cups chicken broth 1/2 cup crushed Smoked Gouda Kettle Cooked Potato Chips 6-12 apples, variety
- Heat the oil in a medium or large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and the onion and the celery and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sausage to the skillet and cook thoroughly making sure to break it up into crumbles. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, stir together stuffing mix and sausage mixture. Add crushed Shearer’s Gouda kettle Chips. Add Swanson's chicken broth in the same amount as water is called for on the stuffing mix instructions. Mine called for 1 1/4 cups of water and I used 1 1/4 cups of chicken broth.
- Stir the mixture together so that the stuffing is soft and moist. Feel free to add a little more broth if needed. Set the mix aside.
- Prepare the apples: Slice the very top of the apples off.
- Use a spoon or a melon baller to carefully scoop out the entire core of the apple.
- Repeat this for every apple.
- Spoon stuffing in to the apples and place in a high sided baking dish.
- Once all the apples are stuffed and in the dish, carefully pour an additional 1/4-12 cup of broth over the apples. Add another 1/4 cup to the bottom of the dish.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the apples are softened but not falling apart. If you don't want the stuffing to brown, cover the dish while baking.
Carla 11/3/2016 2:18:55 PMThese are so tasty!!